Mechanics of getting a press story
Justin Kan, founder at eSports streaming provider TwitchTV, talks about the stages of getting your story to news providers and how to give your story the best chance of being featured.
1. Find a reporter that can connect your story to your target audience, try to get an introduction to them – potentially through a friend that was covered on their site.
2. Set a date for the story 4-7 days in advance so they can write the story.
3. Reach out to get a time commitment from the reported for a phone or in person conversation.
4. Before meeting them make sure you've written your story out so you can lead them through it in conversation.
5. Follow up a day before your news release, make sure you include any relevant photos or name spellings.
6. Launch your news.